Thursday, September 15, 2011

Alter Peter, Asamkirche, and German Treats!


September 15th

Today was another day jam packed with adventures. It is the first day that I haven’t woken up before 7am, in fact, I woke up around 10am… I think I preferred it with how it was before. Bettina and I then rode bikes to the train station. It was kind of a new experience as we rode without helmets. I guess it is very optional to wear them?
On the train, we met up with Bettina’s best friend, Melli. From there we went from Gernlinden (Bettina’s village) to Munich, where we climbed 302 steps up the Alter Peter- and man what a view! From that height I could see 360 degrees of Munich, from places I have already been, to places I will soon visit. I was kind of surprised by how much English I heard while I was there!
Then we went to the market where we looked around. It was quite gorgeous filled with people at cafes and beer gardens, vendors at every corner selling Bavarian treats and crafts.
Eventually we walked to Asamkirche but before going in, we went to the gummy shop across the street where they had gummies in every shape and color, even more adult gummies. We settled on a bag of strawberry rhubarb gummies. They tasted like strawberry marmalade!
In the Asamkirche, the architecture was so detailed; my eyes didn’t know what to focus on it was all so beautiful. Organ music drafted down and throughout the church as little light filtered through the windows. I cannot stress enough how elaborate and gorgeous the Asamkirche is. Outside of the Asamkirche, we went to Sendlinger Tor which is dated from 1318 AD!
Back in the main square with the Glockenspiel and Alter Peter, I had my first Bavarian pretzel! It was good, but nothing compared to the German pretzels that my neighbor Cordula and I bake from scratch. I probably just didn’t have a fresh one.  There is always a lot of people in the square, I take it mainly tourists, but locals as well. One thing I must mention is that there are very few homeless people begging on the street compared to Seattle. In München there are street performers, but I think for the past few days being in the heart of the city, I have only saw one homeless person. It is very nice.
Melli, Bettina, and I then went on the train to the village, Esting, where we got Eis (ice cream) at ‘Mr. Eis’. I ordered by myself! ‘Ein Kugel Pistazie in der Waffel’ which I pronounced: Ein Cuppa Pistasie in der Ruffle… despite my mistakes it was close enough that the server understood and I received my one scoop of pistachio ice cream in a cone.
Back at the station, Bettina and I said goodbye to Melli, who we have plans to see later this week too.
St. Peter's Church, or commonly refered to as 'Alter Peter'

302 steps later, Bettina, Melli, and I at the top of the Alter Peter Tower

All sorts of gummies sold here

Asamkirche (Asam Church)
Bettina’s mom is so cute! She bought ‘American Sandwich’ loaf of bread for when I have toast in the morning! I am not so sure what to expect… hope it isn’t the equivalent of Wonder Bread, where you ‘wonder’ what they made it out of. Bettina’s mom cooks a lot like my mom, which I am very glad about! Tonight we had a lovely dinner consisting of bell peppers, zucchini, and rice with a coconut milk, curry, lemongrass sauce. It was scrumptious. And now I am currently enjoying my first cup of sage tea made from the sage in the garden. Life is sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment