Thursday, June 21, 2012

Working the Fields in Chichester


21st of June

Just came back from spending a day and a half in Chichester with Rich and his mum. Yesterday Rich and I went straight to work in the garden for approximately 5 hours. During that time, Rich cut down the tall grass and thistles with a strimmer while I raked up the cuttings into mounds (or what Rich calls strimples). By the end of the day, I had raked up 49 strimples and had received lovely sunburns on both of my shoulders. In the evening Phil made us dinner and treated us to a cider for our hard work.  

Today, I woke up from my solid sleep in the cabin with a slight ache in my lower back. At the house Rich’s mum, Helen, made us waffles with cooked cherries and pure Canadian maple syrup (which I have been craving within the first month of setting foot in this country). On our way back to Chichester, Rich lead us to our train back to Southampton, or so we thought. After a good 20 or 30 minutes on the train there was an announcement that the train was terminating early. Rich then went to figure out if we were on the right train to begin with- the answer was no!

Luckily the train terminated early and we were able to catch a train to St. Deny’s station after 20 minutes of waiting. Taking a longer journey home, once at St. Deny's we trotted back home two blocks from the station  in the rain. It has been a fabulous past few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment