Saturday, June 16, 2012

First Full Day in Dublin!


2nd of June

Explored the city with Sami, Chris, and Logan a little last night as we searched for a pub to have dinner; we ended up eating at O’reilly’s Pub. Breakfast consisted toast and cereal. After breakfast we wandered about finding an old tall ship and really neat bridges. We found Trinity College which has a gorgeous campus! They had a neat art sculpture in front of the Berkley Library. At the college we randomly joined a tour group but after 10 or 15 minutes with no idea where the group was going we split off and discovered a history museum which I want to go to when the weather isn’t as nice (best part – free admission). Then we found Saint Stephen’s Green Park. The park has so many flowers and fountains and ponds. I would highly recommend anyone visiting Dublin to take a picnic there or something. 

There was an amazing street performer that we passed by who pretended that he was a statue. He was so realistic that even pigeons were landing on him – though after closer inspection he had birdseed in his pipe… still impressive though!

Sami and the others bought some bracelets at a street vendor and got other touristy things at a shop. I bought 8 postcards which I will try to start writing up this evening. After much walking we found what we were looking for- the Guinness Storehouse.

The place was gianormous and it was very well built. The architecture of the place created a beer pint glass out of the stories! There I had my first pint of Guinness – I guess not a bad place to start! Afterwards the others were going to tour the Whiskey brewery but I was feeling like I wanted to pace myself on the liquor for the time being. Not to mention that according to Rich, one pint of Guinness is 1000 calories!!! So I split up and wandered to the youth hostel on my own time checking out the streets and the live music … basically taking time to absorb my surroundings and enjoy Dublin without feeling out of place.


The street musicians in Dublin are some of the best- they all sound so professional. Temple Bar district is a must see. So lively!!! I took about 365 pictures since the 31st so at the moment my trip is going well. I think I will try to go to Temple Bar district again during the day- we’ll see. 

It appears that there are more beggars here than the UK or parts of Europe that I have been to. Not sure if I would live here but maybe Northern Ireland or in the UK.

No comments:

Post a Comment