Thursday, April 5, 2012

(Going to See) My First Professional Fußball Game

31st März
Went to send off all the post cards and letters that I had written last night; it’s crazy how much they add up in cost when all said and done (~20€ total… though that did consist of three packages, one of which I sent razors to myself since I couldn’t bring them on the plane) but I am glad I was able to mail them.
Marc got a hold of his friends, Alex and Burien, in regards to what is needed for dinner tomorrow (really looking forward to meeting them). We ended up going to the grocery store for some tomato paste. Around the time of our walk back it began to snow a little! Marc claimed that it wasn’t snow but ‘slushy rain’, well I had a nice bicker with him of what to classify the weather (in good spirits though) which helped keep our minds off how cold we were.
Bundled up in leggings under my jeans, two t-shirts, a UW sweatshirt, my red jacket, raincoat, two scarves, gloves, and a hat, not to mention smart wool socks; I was finally ready around 3:30pm to leave for Dennis’s and ultimately go to see my first professional Fußball game (or football game (UK) or soccer (US))!! At Dennis’s we met up also with Luke and Dennis’s sister, Nina. We stayed there for a bit, enough time for Marc and Dennis to play one round of darts (game= 301) and for me to enjoy some hot chocolate. Walking  to the subway/train, I stopped at a Deutschbank to withdraw enough cash for the tickets and some food. In Germany, everything is closed on Sundays except for bakeries during the morning so it didn’t make sense to withdraw more than what could get me through the night. At the ATM (which is inside a small room rather than out in the streets like in the U.S.) I noticed a bum fast asleep on the counter resting his head on one machine and feet on another. Dennis told me it was my ‘picture opportunity’ but I didn’t take it because it didn’t feel right. Down to the subway Marc, Luke, and Nina were ahead of me and I mentioned on the escalator that I still needed to buy a train ticket. I think Dennis only heard me as he lead me back upstairs to help me buy my ticket. We got back to the platform just as the train arrived! Shortly afterwards or at least when we were on a connecting train ride, guys came by to check our tickets which was the first time it happened for me in Berlin. I was so glad that I had said something beforehand about getting a ticket otherwise I would have been in a serious predicament as if I recall the fines for not having a valid ticket on a train in Germany is in the 100s value in euros.
Getting off the train to the station at the Olympiastadium it was quite the scene. Thousands moved towards the stadium drabbed in blue and white (home team) it doesn’t help that everyone I know, including myself, were geared up in those colours too. Many officials or workers were stationed at various points collecting empty beer bottles and plastic bottles from the masses. Eventually we made it outside in front of the standium where we bought our tickets (17€ each) and weaved in and out passing by the various fans already working on their first or third beer. After going through the turnstile at the security checkpoint everyone gets padded down and bottles get confiscated as well as food, such as the bag of chocolates Marc brought- so after I was given the ‘all clear’ by security, I turn around to find the three guys working through the numerous chocolate bars. 
Once they were done and received an ok from their pat downs, we went to a bratwurst stand and got some food for dinner. The stadium had two columns in front of it which suspended in the middle near the top was the Olympic Games logo of the 5 rings. The stadium itself was built during the1930s for the Berlin Olympic Games before WWII. Seeing the stadium today it is quite impressive still and is still aesthetically pleasing. Before the game we scoped out our seats and then sat far from them closer to the field to have a good 30 minutes or so to enjoy the sun.
The crowd below was so much fun! There were 46,333 fans in the stadium; they sang chants, cheers, jumped up and down, waved their arms, clapped, waved flags, and were just overall an energized group of fans. I took part in some of the clapping and waving the team scarf over my head though it was a bit difficult to join in the songs and chants, so I hummed instead. At one point the crowd broke out singing ‘Bare Necessities’ in German. Once the game started we were back in our seats at the furthest back section of the stands. I got really into the game quickly (-oh how I missed soccer). At one point the Berlin teamed scored!! We were jumping and hugging in the stands. Before the half was over however, the other team (colours similar to the Washington Sounders) scored a point. Rats! Halftime was kept alive as fans below carried on with their eccentricities and many in our section went during that time for beers and food. Multiple times (about 3 times or so) a guy who had one beer to many fell into me from the row bejind. Pretzel and beer vendors made their rounds through the stands. At one point it was snowing a bunch during the game and I became quite grateful for my numerous layers that I was wearing and the guys couldn’t mock me anymore for looking like a wuss from the cold. We ended up leaving 12 minutes before the game finished as the score was 4 to 1 favouring the opposing team.
After two changes in our train ride back to Dennis’s we stopped at a Turkish kebab restaurant and got Döners to go. At Dennis’s place we played darts and ate. At one point Marc got out the German version of Risk, which I had a feeling would result in a long game. I played with the guys for a while with my mission to invade North America and Africa, and then I let Dennis’s sisters to take over so I could take a nap on the couch as it now was nearing midnight. Dennis ended up winning the game, and Marc and I returned to Marc’s condo around 2am. I was so sleepy and it didn’t help to think that we had a 6am wakeup call the next day!

No comments:

Post a Comment