Monday, April 30, 2012

Adventures of Arundel Castle


April 11th
On wards to Arundel, a small town situated in West Sussex which holds a cathedral as well as an ancient castle. Excitement coursed through my veins as Hannah and I made our way to the entrance of the castle. The Arundel Castle was my first ever experience of seeing an English Castle. ‘No cameras allowed within the castle grounds’ a sign said as we passed the front entry. As we made our way up to see the Keep, that rule was quickly ignored (no worries I don’t use flash) as I would occasionally sneak a photo here or there, usually of the views from the windows.
The day just was sweet, sunshine kissed our faces as we enjoyed our lunch outside of the castle on a bench surrounded by cherry blossoms. At lunch I had my first ever hot cross buns, which I guess is an Easter treat, but I was excited to try it since I have always heard of hot cross buns from the nursery rhymes. After lunch we went to see the castle gardens since we were not allowed to go to the main castle rooms till past noon, where I bought some organic kale from the Duke’s garden.
Hannah and I wandered through the immense rooms in the castle, it is just so stunning to see architecture and decorating of such a high standard and even more impressive that they were made at least over a hundred years ago or more. A bit bizarre to think how much has changed in the quality of items made a hundred years ago.
After our castle excursion aided with our map we roamed the streets of Arundel searching for a tourist information building. Once we managed to find it we entered the building as two German tourists were walking out and the elderly gentleman behind the counter said, “I’ll be with you in a minute” to us without looking up from his cataloguing. After marking down that two people visited from Germany he said, “Good afternoon madams, how may I help you?” Hannah asked him if there was a walking map of the routes of Arundel; the man kind of half heard us gesturing to some town maps of Arundel below the counter. Hannah attempted again as we already had a map of Arundel and asked if he knew of any decent trails that we could take around here, letting him know that we do have hiking boots and a car so distance isn’t too much of an issue for us. The man just said somewhere along the river, and told us to take a map of the city. To please him we did, though for trails all he could tell us was to walk along the river on a trail that seemed like it wasn’t very far. Before we left he asked us our nationalities. Hannah told him she was from the UK and I told him I was from the U.S.; he made note of this in his catalogue as we began to leave. Stepping into the street a woman passed us entering the tourist information and we heard behind us, “Good afternoon madam”-Quite a peculiar character.
Hannah and I had a lovely walk by the river, managing to find an unpaved path that continued in the country fields. Cows huddled laying down on the grass watching us as we went past. At one point we came upon an old village church, the church of St. Leonard of South Stoke to be exact (2.5 miles north east from Arundel). The church was recorded in the Doomsday Book in 1086! 1086!!! That is practically a millennium ago! The history of such a building just baffled me to think of all the villagers who attended this modest church, were married, grieved, baptised. So many generations must have walked on the same stone flooring as I have walked on now. The parish currently has a population of 57 people.
Hannah and I sat on a bench outside amongst the gravestones snacking on fruit as we saw a couple walk into the church. The couple left and soon Hannah and I decided it was about time to head back before the sun sets. Out of the churchyard gates we bumped into that same couple, turns out that they live in the next village over but had never ventured over to South Stoke before. They told us of a book about the town that includes Arundel and the church of St. Leonard, called, The Foxes Oven. After a long and lovely chat we bid adieu and continued on our journey back. I really enjoyed that couple; they were definitely from the countryside Hannah told me, because in the countryside or smaller villages it isn’t uncommon for folks to strike up a conversation or just be really friendly.
Returning to the car we changed our shoes and headed back to Southampton by sunset.

No comments:

Post a Comment