Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Remember, remember, the 5th of November

November 5th 

I have had fireworks going off outside of my dorm complex for the past week and a half. Where were these people getting so many fireworks? As Halloween passed and the week progressed, I finally figured out why there was an ample supply of fireworks ready to buy. “Remember, remember, the 5th of November”, no I am not referring to the film V for Vendetta, though it is loosely based off of the day I am referring to, Guy Fawkes Day.
Hillwalking in Winchester was simply lovely, at lunch we stopped on a bridge and I went on a rope swing nearby that went over the water. Around three, we made it into the town. The club broke up into groups, I went with a few others to the Cathedral. Then we checked out a book sale that was around the corner, no matter how tempted I was in getting a book, I resisted since I couldn’t bring it home anyways. Then we explored King Arthur’s round table which was really neat!! Meeting back at the Irish Pub, O’Neil’s, my group ordered right before the whole line of orders got in, so we were able to receive our meals without having to wait over an hour! It was great!
Back on the street, it was dark and there were hordes of people. We got torches and slowly you could see down the street that more and more torches were being lit and were slowly making their way towards us. Then a parade broke out, where the band came through and as they passed everyone just joined the parade following the band. Carrying lit torches through town was definitely an experience I will remember, it was so surreal! Ash and embers flew in my mouth and down my shirt, but I was happy that at least my hair didn’t catch a light. We made it to the field where the bonfire was going to take place. The bonfire was about 2 stories tall, it was really glorious, though I wonder how they ever got it out…Later we sacrificed our good spots to the side of the tree to unite with the other hillwalkers… or actually, I am still not sure why we had sacrificed our good places, but all is well. The fireworks display was quite the spectacle, roughly £3,500 of fireworks were ignited and we oooed and ahhed a little. By the time the first fireworks were going off, I decided I was tired of my torch which was miraculously still going, so I gave it away. Guy Fawkes Day had to be one of my favorite days that I have spent in the UK thus far. The day had everything, exercise, culture, yummy food, fire, and great company. After the fireworks we went to another pub called The Black Boy, which had keys and medieval weaponry hanging from the ceiling. I got back home around 11pm, which some might consider early, but with such a full day, I was ready for bed.
Happy Guy Fawkes Day!!!!
Rope Swings!!!

Hillwalking in Winchester

Hillwalking in the hills of Winchester

Winchester Cathedral

King Arthur's Round Table




Getting ready for the Torch Parade!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment