Friday, November 18, 2011

I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas

November 17, 2011

I have been looking forward to seeing my first British play production since I have arrived in Southampton and tonight I finally experienced the theater magic in the UK. After three very long hours of a geochemistry practical that seemed to drag on with no end; Emily, Claire, and I walked over to West Quay (pronounced: West Key) to grab a quick bite to eat and meet up with Rachel and Emmeline. 
The Christmas season has definitely started here in Southampton, as evidence of the grand decorations in the mall with giant ornaments and white Christmas lights hanging at least 3 stories from the ceiling. A church choir performing on the main floor had audiences huddled by the stage and others peering over from the floor above. Rachel and I definitely approved of their music choices which included ‘Forget You’ by Cee Lo Green and ‘He Lives in You’ from The Lion King II. When we were done manging on our burgers and sandwiches we hot footed it over to the theater jaywalking and dodging traffic on the way. 

The theatre in Southampton, named The Mayflower, was very similar to the theatres I have been to in the U.S. and similar to the theatres in the U.S. - you cannot enter one without being in awe of the architecture or grandness of it all. Meeting up with some of Claire’s housemates we left the lobby to take our seats. I was a bit surprised to find out that it cost money for a theater programme (like around 5 quid!!! Which is roughly $7.90) so being a poor university student I decided to opt out of buying one. 

When the lights dimmed and the announcer’s voice came on to remind members of the audience to turn off their cell phones and that recording devices are prohibited during the performance, the excitement and anticipation was brimming in all of us. Finally the moment of experiencing live English theatre was any minute now. The curtains parted and next thing I know I am looking at a back drop with the American flag with a time setting of Christmas Eve 1944. The actors all had American accents, which I guess makes sense since it was adapted from the 1954 movie with Bing Crosby and Rosemary Clooney. The U.S. setting did not hinder my enthusiasm for the play, but I was a bit surprised. You could kind of tell that the American accents were fake well for starters it is curious why one sister has a west coast accent while the other donned a New Jersey accent; though at least for the main characters the accents were not that bad. The production was enchanting and Act I ended on one of my all-time favorite songs, Blue Skies, which I had no idea originated from this play. 

Lights came on indicating intermission and Claire uncovered the mini minced pies that we smuggled into the theatre. Everyone grabbed a mini pie and they looked over to see what my reaction was to my first ever mince pie. I took a bite- the filling was (I think) figs, like a fig newton, or other dried fruits with spices like cloves, cinnamon, and who knows what else. It was pleasant!

Before intermission was over, I talked Rachel into joining me to see the orchestra (kind of a tradition I have with my dad when we go to plays). Roughly two minutes after disturbing the three elderly women to sneak past them in the aisle so we could make it to the orchestra pit, we had to head back to our seats because Act II was about to start.

The actors on stage were donned in great costumes styled in the time period of the 1940s and 50s. It was nice just relaxing and enjoying the numerous dance numbers (which included tap!!!). By the end of the play I was so captivated that I nearly forgot that the actors were not really American, or that we haven’t even had Thanksgiving yet. The finale was spectacular with audience participation in singing White Christmas and then it started to snow on the audience!! I was so excited and my face brightened up like a 6 year old on Christmas morning. 

As the music came to an end and the curtains closed once more, I looked behind me to see that my friends were as enthused as I was at the performance. I was a bit shocked that no one gave the actors a standing ovation, which I could tell if it was performed in the U.S. it would have definitely had the audience at their feet. 

On the bus ride home after my friends got off at their stops, I was experiencing a bout of serious homesickness. Earlier this year I decided I wouldn’t return home for the holidays because for starters, I don’t have that kind of money to make a trip home and back and would rather spend it traveling within Europe since I am only here for a year. Additionally, the past few Christmases I have experienced at home were dismal, especially last year when my grandfather had broken his hip and we spent Christmas morning in Swedish hospital rather than around the Christmas tree. Still as the actors sang songs such as White Christmas and I’ve Got My Love to Keep Me Warm, I felt a pang in the fact that I won’t be home for the holidays. It will be my first Christmas away from my family. The past few weeks whenever I talked to people eventually they always seem to come to the question, “will you be going home for the holidays?” and they always seem to be surprised when I answered no. Back in my room, I spent a good hour listening to songs that indicated for me that it was the beginning of ‘Christmas time’. Every year my dad exhausts the stereo and the family’s patience with the CD player on repeat to Tony Bennett’s The White Christmas Album Snowfall. Now I find myself searching that very album on youtube to feel a bit at home.

Despite the homesickness, it has truly been a fabulous evening. I am so glad I have friends like Claire, who brought up the idea of getting a bunch of us to experience some culture by going to the theatre! Not to mention experiencing some UK culture of minced pies- yum!


2 comments:

  1. I will do everything I can to make your christmas as perfect as it can be... hopefully my family will remind you about your family, in a good way! And there is always Skype! I have celebrated the last 2 christmas' with my laptop next to me.. :)

    Hopefully there will be some snow in Sweden as well and we can go into town for the xmas market!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cecilia! No worries, I am going to have an amazing time this Christmas because I will be in your company ^^ I am so excited to visit you, you have no idea. I was just having a little homesickness that evening, but it has passed, and you're right, there is always skype! Speaking of skype, we should probably skype each other sometime soon? I can't wait to see you!!! x

    ReplyDelete