Monday, October 3, 2011

First Day of School!

October 3rd

I began my day with an 8am run at Riverside Park with my flat mate named, Iris. I showed her my recent discovery (the park) and it was absolutely gorgeous. The morning sunlight shafted through the fog and leaves, giving a picture perfect scene worthy of becoming a desktop background. Once we got to the stone arched bridge, I suggested that we go across because I figured out a road we could take to loop back. Once we got to the road, I realized that it wasn’t the road I thought it was before, but I needed it to be there so I could go early to my first class. After making such an unpleasant discovery, I asked Iris if we could run faster on the way back. Turns out that it has been a while since she ran and she needed a 5 minute break, (poor thing, I wished I had known that before dragging her out on a long run) and told me that I should head back without her since she doesn’t have a class until the afternoon and she knows the way back. I felt guilty in leaving her, but I had only about thirty minutes to get back and ready for school. Booking it back, I got a great run in, with the motivation of possibly being late for my first class if I took a later bus. Bounding up the stairs to the fourth floor in D Block, I entered my flat ready to take advantage of the shower. I got to the bathroom door and once again that blasted little slot by the handle was red; occupied. Well the shower can't fool me this time, I tried the handle. Locked. Drat, I ended up having to wait once more for a shower after my run, but this time it was an actual person using the shower before me. Wasting no time, I grabbed my honey on toast and began munching on it. Before I finished, Emily came out with her shampoo and body wash in her arms. We talked waiting for the shower. After a while it was available, I had to use a bit of assertiveness and let Emily know I was waiting for the shower and that I had class in less than two hours (though the bus ride takes 40 minutes to get to the NOC).
Arriving to my first class of the day, I was glad that I came 30 minutes early because the class was moved to the sports hall for the next few days. When students filed into the classroom… or might as well say gym, I initially took a seat in the first row from habit. After a few minutes, I realized absolutely no one sits in the first row and most were in the back. I ended up joining a few in the second row so I could try and make some acquaintances- at the moment no such luck. It was kind of difficult following the class today as the ventilation system was going and you could hear the trucks backing up right outside of the sports hall, masking most of what the teacher was saying. We powered through the two hour lecture without a break and I was getting a bit lightheaded from not drinking enough water after the morning run.
During my two hour break, I headed up to the library where I bumped into Rob, a fourth year, who was able to give some pointers of how to navigate ‘blackboard’ so I can access my timetable. Famished I got lunch at the cafeteria, and decided to eat alone in the sunlight window area. Ashley, Matt, and Zack pleasantly surprised me, so I didn’t have to eat by myself anymore. 
Favorite area in the cafeteria

Ashley and Sami- my partners in crime from UW

Around 3 pm (or 1500) Sami, Ashley, and I went to our Coastal and Estuarine Oceanography 1 class. It was packed with students, that some I guess didn’t even have seats. I was a bit tired as this was my second two hour lecture that I had to sit through today. Though on the plus side, it is taught by our tutor, Alan Kemp, who seems really nice. Forty-five minutes into lecture the fire alarm went off! Alan ended up dismissing class for the day, so I got out an hour and fifteen minutes early, score!!! Ashley and Zack rode off on bikes back to Zack’s place to get ready for the yoga session later tonight; so Sami and I went to the city center and got some milkshakes for this unusually warm October day. In fact, on the first of October this year, we experienced the hottest October day in England’s history!!!! On my search for the bus stop for our way home, I got lost, and then nearly hit by a car (again) as I once more forgot to look ‘right’ first before crossing the street. Let’s just say in this country, Darwin’s ‘survival of the fittest’ is not in my favor… I am adapted to Seattle, though similar weather wise to Southampton, the direction of the cars are completely different. 
 Survived crossing the road! For my reward, I caught a bus

I made it back in time to get changed for yoga and grab a bus that could get me to the front of The Stag’s Pub where we were meeting. I helped the yoga instructors with getting the yoga mats and good thing too, because when we got back there were easily 30 or so people but since I helped I was able to secure a mat for myself. Yoga outside was lovely, candles were lit, incense was burning, and a really loud rock band in Stags could be heard clearly from where we were. Some of the drum solos actually were rather appropriate for what we were doing, but once the vocals were on it was a really ironic situation. A hard rock melody began right when we started our peace and balance poses.
I am not so sure if I will pursue windsurfing at this point since it is 40 pounds and I don’t really want my hands to turn blue and purple once winter weather comes around, though I wish I could. I might actually take up yoga this year though, with the idea in mind that it might help me relax and adjust better in this country.  

No comments:

Post a Comment